Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Last training session...

3 days till GQ(!)

Today was the final training day before GQ. At the end of the day, I decided to do the Gi & No-Gi portion of the tournament and sit out the absolute. For those that don't know, the absolute division is an open weight class: This means that Uncle Bob from the McDojo down the street can enter - even if he weighs 430 lbs. Uncle Bob might even draw the 120 lb. representative of the only BJJ school in Somalia...which is bad. I had dreams of winning a "David vs Goliath-esque" battle in the finals then taking my wench home for the worst 20 seconds of her life but decided I wasn't ready- for the division or the 20 seconds.

We covered some throws and sparred. The beauty of BJJ is the sparring - one day you walk out of class feeling like Rickson Gracie and other days you feel like you were violated. Lately, I have felt like the violator more than the violatee: Sweeping, transitions, submissions. I have to admit, I'm feeling good. I am not going in like I did the pan-ams-scared and out of my element. I know I belong on the mat with the guy across from me. When I first started this journey, I had no idea where I would end up. I had visions of my last class being like a hero going away to battle. But I was wrong - barely anyone knew I was going. I wouldn't have it any other way- this sport humbles you....but it makes you a better person. This isn't just a thing I do a couple of days a week- it has become a lifestyle and a part of who I am.

I guess what I am trying to say is that when I get on the mat, I will be looking for the win. If I am down and out-bleeding, hurting, and feeling like its time to quit, there will only be one thing to do: lock stares with my opponent, reach deep inside of my soul, and kick him in the balls as hard as I possibly can.

I'm class all the way, bitches.


Weight: 181 .5
BJJ
2 pounds to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's hear it.