Thursday, January 29, 2009

10th Planet JJ

107 days til GQ..


So after much hooting & hollering a friend and I decided to show up at the new 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu location in Riverside. If you do not know about this branch of BJJ it has a pretty damn interesting story: Eddie Bravo, a pothead yet grappling visionary enters the Abu Dhabi grappling tournament and beats the legendary Royler Gracie-as a brown belt. He starts his own branch of jiu jitsu and advocates throwing out the gi and being more aggressive. He has developed his own series of moves with names like "Mission Control", "Crackhead Control" & "The Rubber Guard. He may be the most polarizing figure in BJJ due to his cult-like devotion from his followers and satanic-like hate from his detractors.


Anyways, we check it out. From outside, I see this muscular asian woman kicking like "Tong-Po" in Kickboxer (awesome Van Damme movie-check it out) and already I know this place is legit. Since it's so new, there are only 6 people in the class. 6. That is awesome. It's like you are getting a 1 on 1 seminar from the instructor, Jeremy. We do some basic stretches and begin to roll...which is a change. Most places I have gone to start with some cardio before we go into whatever it is we are working on.
We start on the lockdown:









See how the guy on the bottom is relaxed yet confident? I was neither and paid the price. The guy I rolled with literally beat the hell out of me for 30 minutes. Eventually we moved on from that and began to spar. I sparred with the same gentleman, who took great pride in choking me, then guess who I drew: "Tong-Po Girl".
I eyeballed her and figured that there was no way she could weigh more than 130 lbs. Not only did she weigh more, but she was bigger, stronger, faster and meaner than me. She twisted me up like a pretzel and ate me alive. She took great pride in emasculating me in front of my girl and my friend. She would let me get so far then crush me like a little cocktease. The worst part? Her breath smelled like milk. I hate milk. I eat beef only because cows make milk and must be punished for it. After we were done, she patted me on the ass like I was a 2 dollar hooker and sent me on my way.

It was a great place, but not for me. It had nothing to do with anyone or any grappling animal that raped me. I just miss the old place I went to- the Gi, the smell, the bowing and gamesmanship at the end of class. See ya on the mat at Pinnacle Jiu Jitsu in Norco!

1 hour of Jiu Jitsu

1 comment:

  1. I could not survive without milk and all its glorious offspring, especially cheese. Eggs rock too, especially in really, really stodgy cakes.

    Out of interest, have you been training BJJ long? Not sure if I missed where you mentioned you started, but always interesting to know.

    Enjoying the blog so far: entertaining, so I hope you keep it up! :D

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear it.