Thursday, February 19, 2009

No-Gi Wednesday = Fail

80 Days until Grappler's Quest.

I had been lead to believe that it was No-Gi Wednesday and I was excited. I have finally lost enough weight to flaunt my Venum "Chute Boxe" shorts and not look like 10 lbs of dog crap in a 5 lb. bag and it feels great. Unfortunately, I showed up 10 minutes late thanks to the California Highway Patrol (Pay your tags, children) and the first thing I notice from outside are gleaming white gi's running circles around the mat with the vigor of a Klan meeting on Martin Luther King's birthday. Apparently, I was the only douche who didn't get the memo about the gi, so while I looked great I felt like a jackass.

They were kind enough to let me in and after warmups and we started on some armbar drills. As simple as they are I still can't get them right. I'm lucky that the place I train at has so many people that are incredibly patient. I know if I was more experienced and someone like me wanted to roll with, um...me, I would refuse. Or, I would agree and then Oil Check him so he never forgot the experience.

We drilled for a bit, then came the sparring-my favorite part. Though I still get handled, I do feel as if some progress has been made and I may not be as hopeless as previously believed. I get submitted-always. I get up from every roll with scratches and bruises, but with the knowledge that if I keep working I may be able to compete one day and get submitted in a major competition. Another mental note- I need to take care of business before I hit the mat. Yesterday, in a very spirited roll, we had two guys going at it in a battle of epic proportions. Everyone stopped what they were doing to see 2 of our best going at it. Somehow they ended up on top of each other, and in an effort to get his attacker off, the guy on the bottom cut the biggest fart I have ever heard. How he didn't drop a deuce right in the middle of the mat is beyond me-I swear it sounded like someone ran into the room and fired a high caliber machine gun.

Needless to say, I fit right in.


20 Minute Warm Up
1 hr & 15 minutes of BJJ

1 comment:

  1. Pay your tags you homo, i hate people that procrastinate......... you must be very forgetful since you also did not bring your gui......... keep up the hard work and keep on keeping on.......

    Also don't front about listening to Rocky tunes..... you have been known to prefer the Spice Girls during your training regimes.

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear it.